Paul Williams Seriously Injured

Paul Williams, the former two-division world champion, is likely paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident Sunday near Atlanta, Augusta’s WRDW-TV reported on Monday.

Williams’ manager George Peterson said the 30-year-old native of Augusta, Ga., will undergo surgery Wednesday to stablilize the healthy upper half of his spine by putting a protective wall around it.

A powerful 6-foot-1 southpaw, Williams had signed a contract last week to fight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a pay-per-view headliner on Sept. 15 in Las Vegas.

Williams (41-2, 27 KOs), who spent more than two years in SI.com’s pound-for-pound top 10, is a former two-time welterweight titleholder and former interim junior middleweight titlist.

He also won a majority decision over Sergio Martinez, who went on to win the middleweight championship, and owns victories over Winky Wright and a prime Antonio Margarito.

Please say a prayer for Paul and his family.

Advertisements

Mikkel Kessler Stops Allan Green In Fourth!

Mikkel Kessler (45-2, 34 KOs) celebrated a spectacular debut at light heavyweight on Saturday night in Copenhagen when he knocked out Allan Green (31-4, 21 KOs) in the fourth round. Fighting in front of 15,000 wild fans at PARKEN Stadium, the Viking Warrior landed a huge left hook that sent his American opponent down and out and made Kessler the WBC Light Heavyweight Silver Champion.

Green had a big first round, knocking Kessler down with a series of punches, but the 33-year-old Dane came back in style, finding his range and his target in the next rounds. In the fourth, he then ended the fight with one vicious left. “This was a great victory for me,” Kessler said. “I had to get rid of the ring rust in the first round. But once I got going, everything went according to plan. I am glad I could give my fans a spectacular victory. Their support was fantastic.”

Coach Jimmy Montoya praised Kessler´s power: “Mikkel has always had a lot of power in both hands. He prepared Green well to the body. He opened him up and then he caught him. And that was not a lucky punch.”

Kalle Sauerland was thrilled about Kessler´s performance. “This KO – and the way he set it up by hitting Green with body shots – showed that Mikkel is still at the very top of the sport,” the promoter stated. “I said before he needs to win and he needs to impress and today he delivered in impressive fashion. The people of Denmark can be very proud of their Viking Warrior. He has great fights coming up now.”

Berto Fails VADA Drug Dest

Conte:  “Berto’s postive test for nandrolone has absolutely nothing to do with me.”

 First it was Lamont Peterson, now Andre Berto is the latest fighter to run into problems with extra voluntary drug testing not required by the state boxing commission. We had heard last week that former welterweight champion Andre Berto has tested positive for a steroid in pre-fight drug testing but wanted to wait for official confirmation before reporting it. That confirmation came today. This time Golden Boy has ample time to find a replacement opponent for Victor Ortiz on June 23 in the likely event Berto is not allowed to fight. Last week the company was forced to cancel Peterson’s rematch with Amir Khan, which should have been in the midst of the pre-fight weigh-in as this report is being posted. Former BALCO chief Victor Conte, who is working with Berto tweeted “Andre Berto’s postive test for nandrolone has absolutely nothing to do with me or any supplements I provided. Likely trace contamination.”

Team Jones Thrilled about Brook Fight!

Press Release- When IBF #3 rated welterweight and USBA champion Carson Jones challenged undefeated Kell Brook, he wasn’t sure if the highly-touted Brit would accept.
 
Brook, 27-0 (18 KO’s), set his sights on newly-crowned WBA champion Paulie Malignaggi or the winner of the upcoming Mike Jones-Randall Bailey IBF championship match, but neither bout would be immediately available. Although he initially attempted to leapfrog Jones into a title shot, Brook, IBF #5, ultimately agreed to face him Saturday, July 7 in an elimination bout at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield, United Kingdom. 
 
Widely regarded as the most dangerous contender in the 147 lb division, Jones, 34-8-2 (24 KO’s), is on a tear during the last three years, compiling a 17-1-1 record against strong opposition. His victims include 2000 Olympic Silver Medalist Ricardo Williams (19-2), record breaking knockout artist Tyrone Brunson (21-0-1), Michi Munoz (21-2), Jason LeHoullier (21-2-1), Michael Clark (41-5-1) and Said Ouali (28-3).
 
Jones, who went from being an opponent to a bonafied contender and stopped all of the aforementioned foes, is fully confident that he’ll have his way with Brook.
 
“He is in my way of a world title shot,” said the 25-year-old Oklahoma City, OK native. He’ll have to kill me to beat me and I’m not even sure if that’ll get the job done! I’ll be pressuring him from the opening bell and I think the knockout will come.”
 
Jones also dismissed all of the hype surrounding Brook.
 
“He is a decent fighter but should change his name from “Special K” to “Decent K” nothing about him stands out. I’ve already beaten guys in their hometowns and Kell hasn’t fought anybody as good as me. I’m going to expose him!”
 
“We’re extremely excited about this fight and this is a huge moment for HD Boxing,” said Chris Hastings, President of HD Boxing Promotions, Jones’ promoter. “Carson is 8-0 with 8 knockouts since moving down to welterweight and he will be the IBF welterweight champion in the future without question. We’re excited to take on all-comers. The top guys should all watch out!”
 
Fans can keep up with Jones by going to http://www.facebook.com/carson.jones.77 or Hdboxing.net.
 
Contact: Matt Yanofsky (Publicist) – 551-206-0578
 

Peterson/Khan II Officially Cancelled

A failed pre-fight drug test administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coupled with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s (NSAC) legal inability to hold a formal hearing on the matter of licensing Lamont Peterson for his Saturday, May 19 rematch against Amir Khan until Tuesday, May 15, has forced the cancellation of the event.

Ticket refunds for “Peterson vs. Khan II” will be available at your point of purchase.  Ticketmaster may be reached at (800) 745-3000 or http://www.ticketmaster.com.  Event ticket refunds for fans traveling from the United Kingdom are available at http://www.sportscorporation.com or by calling +44 (0)845 163 0845.