Story by: Chip Mitchell
LOS ANGELES — At a press conference earlier today, Canelo Alvarez withdrew from his rematch with Gennady Golovkin.
The decision to withdraw ahead of an April 18 hearing was made as a result of Alvarez’s positive tests for Clenbuterol, a substance on boxing’s banned list.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) filed a complaint last week against Canelo, who claimed the positive test was a result of tainted meat eaten in Mexico.
Under NSAC guidelines, athletes are liable for whatever enters their bodies, even if unintentional.
“I am truly shocked by what has happened and I’ll admit this has led to suspect about my athletic ability,” Alvarez said in a prepared statement later translated by his attorney, Ricardo Cestero. “I have always been a clean fighter and I always will be a clean fighter.
“I want to apologize for all of the inconvenience that this has caused HBO, MGM, Tecate, all my other sponsors, the media and to everyone involved in the promotion of this event and especially to the fans whom I want to say I have not let you down. I respect the sport and I have always been a clean fighter.
“I have always done tests before my fights with VADA, these tests are voluntary and despite their being voluntary I have always agreed to do them and they always came back negative. I am a clean fighter. [The tests] showed small traces of Clenbuterol.
“How can this happen if I didn’t intentionally take Clenbuterol? Unfortunately, there is a public problem in my country of Mexico. Over the years many athletes of many sports, including cycling, soccer, football and boxing have tested positive. Contaminated meat is what caused this test (result).”
Gennady Golovkin’s team mentioned they’d like him to still fight in Las Vegas on May 5. Tom Loeffler, head of K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions has applied for a permit to promote card on May 5 at T-Mobile Arena. NSAC has scheduled a meeting on Thursday to consider the application.
“GGG wants to fight on May 5 in Las Vegas, so in order to do that we have to go through the commission procedure and the official process,” Loeffler said on Monday.
“Anyone who booked a plane ticket or who was planning to come to Las Vegas for Cinco de Mayo weekend to see GGG fight, don’t cancel your ticket, because we’re planning a GGG fight on May 5, whether it’s against Canelo or somebody else,” Loeffler said.
Some names that have floated around since doubt arose concerning the rematch are:
- Demetrius Andrade, the VADA-enrolled and undefeated middleweight contender (25-0, 16 KOs) who will be a tough night for anyone he faces.
- Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan (27-2, 19 KOs), who laid a brutal beat down of Antoine Douglas last December.
- Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez (37-0, 25 KOs), 26, of Mexico who holds the WBO World super middleweight title and is willing to put it on the line.
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko, (12-0, 10 KOs), a dangerous undefeated fighter who brutally broke down Tureano Johnson in an impressive win last August. he’s won his last six fights by stoppage.,
- Daniel Jacobs, (33-2, 29 KOs), who gave Golovkin one of his toughest fights and who wanted a shot at the winner. It’s late to make the bout, but as not impossible.
- Billy Joe Saunders, (26-0, 12 KOs). I was always suspicious of Saunders’s hand injury suffered a couple weeks ago. If Saunders can fight May 5, it represents that opportunity for Golovkin to achieve his #1 goal as a boxer- UNDISPUTED!
- Julio Caesar Chavez, Jr., (50-3-1), a guy who (a clean?) Alvarez defeated last May. It was viewed as a 12-round sparring match dominated by Alvarez as the catch-weight possibly drained Junior. Junior is willing to fight Golovkin, but at 168 like Ramirez. From a ticket-selling and PPV buy standpoint, this would generate some scratch on Cinco de Mayo weekend.
Stay tuned at http://www.TheFightJournal.com for more details as Golovkin continues his search for an opponent.